To get the EndNote X8 ribbon to display in Word 2016:
1. Start EndNote X8.
2. Open Word. Make sure you have the latest updates. Click on the Help menu and select Check for Updates. Follow the steps to update Word. If the Auto Update is not able to locate the latest version for some reason, you can download the updates from Microsoft at their update page here.
3. Close Word and go to EndNote.
4. Click the EndNote menu and select "Customizer."
5. Check the box in front of the "Cite While You Write" option.
6. Click next until the Customizer is finished. Open a library.
7. Then open Word 2016 and check the Ribbon for the EndNote tab. (NOTE: The EndNote CWYW tools no longer appear under the Tools menu; rather appears as a separate tab in Word).
You should now see the EndNote tab in the Ribbon of Word 2016. If you are not seeing the EndNote tab, follow these steps:
1. Close Word and EndNote.
2. Open your hard drive and go to the following folder: Applications: EndNote X8: Cite While You Write. Copy the file "EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle" by highlighting the file and going to "Edit > Copy."
3. Go to the folder "[Hard Drive Name] : Library : Application Support : Microsoft : Office365 : User Content : Startup : Word" and paste the file, "Edit > Paste."
Note: If you have trouble finding the above location you need to click on Finder (in the Dock the icon of a face). To the right of Finder click on the Go menu then click on Computer then click on the Macintosh Hard Drive. You should then be able to follow the path above.
Note: In non-English versions of Word, the folder named "Startup" may be called "Start" or be in the localized language of Word.
4. Start Word, go to "Word > Preferences" and click on "File Locations."
5. If the Startup folder is set to any location, highlight "Startup" and click on "Reset."
6. Click "OK" and Quit Word.
7. Start EndNote and then start Word.
If your toolbar add-in (for Cite While You Write support) in Word did not install, follow these steps:
Make sure you have at least the SP1 (12.1.x) update for Microsoft Word 2008 installed. You can download the update from Microsoft here or you can use the Update feature for Word by clicking on the Help menu and then Check for Updates. You can check if you have version 12.1.x installed by clicking on the Word menu and selecting About Word.
The simplest way to get the tools to appear is to open EndNote, and go to the EndNote menu. Select "Customizer" from the EndNote menu. Check the box in front of the "Cite While You Write" option. Click next until the Customizer is finished. Open a library. Then open Word and check the Tools menu for the EndNote submenu.
If after installing the Word 2008 SP1 update and following the instructions above the tools still do not appear: