1. Using just one of the photos (links given below) as a starting point, locate a selection of primary resources (newspaper articles, archival records, photos, videos…) that give an account of this event.
Federation celebrations in Centennial Park, Sydney 1901
Sydney Harbour Bridge construction, 1930
Announcement of the outbreak of war, 1939
2. Add any web-based resources you discover to the TCH1007 pinterest page http://www.pinterest.com/scuhsie/ [Username: TCH10007@gmail.com Password: scuhsie1]
Don’t forget to put an annotation with your Pin, and to pin it to the relevant Board.
3. How could you use this sort of activity in the classroom? How would you extend it?
- Contrast how the (broad) event was described, with reports in secondary or tertiary sources (books / journal articles / encyclopaedias / websites / videos …).
- Explore variations in language used, changes in perspective, extra issues raised ….